PRE-REQUISITES: Current PT, PTA, OT, OTA, SLP, NP, RN, MD, DO, DPM, or PA License. Excellent choice for CLWT and CLT update, and CLT-LANA re-certification. Ability to palpate anatomical structures and follow anatomical planes with manual skills is required.
~20hrs Online Pre-course Work + 30 hours remote or on-site "Live" Training. 49 CE hrs Total
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) therapy is rapidly evolving. This course provides extensive training for licensed clinicians who wish to update their skills and stay current with new hand techniques and technologies that are shaping lymphedema treatment today. This course is also Part 1/3 of our full certified Lymphedema & Wound Therapist certification course.
Our Modern MLD Certification was developed by licensed PTs and OTs who are LANA Certified Lymphedema Therapists with a broad background in traditional approaches. ILWTI has integrated evidence-based research and information gained from ICG fluoroscopy of live lymphatics, to create the new Lymphatic & Integumentary Rehabilitation (LIR™) approach.
“I walked away after three days of the Modern MLD course with a new skill set and knowledge in how to use them in treating patients with chronic edema. One of the best courses I have ever taken in 27 years as a therapist. They present the most recent information in the understanding and treatment of lymphedema that has changed the way MLD has been understood and treated for years. Take this course!!”
- Heather Wood, OT, FL, 2019
Speakers/Authors: This course was developed by ILWTI Executive Director of Education, Robyn Bjork, in conjunction with ILWTI Director of MLD Education, Marijke Carson. The course is taught by qualified ILWTI Instructors. Please go to "INSTRUCTORS" page to access credentials and bios.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage training has dramatically changed over the past few years. Why? Because lymphatic medicine and research has changed! What we thought to be true in the past is different than what we know now. New ICG Fluoroscopy imaging of live lymphatics and published research in the past few years has begged significant changes in lymphedema educational curriculum:
*Starling's Law Debunked!
*Endothelial Glycocalyx Layer structure and function explained
*New state of the evidence for Modern MLD™ (finally! the scientific proof we need)
*Why all edema is lymphedema, and why it matters
*How to improve functional outcomes for TKA and other orthopedic applications
*Customize MLD for each individual patient!
*Your best route may drain proximal to distal on the extremity. Find out how and why.
*Use new research on lymphosomal mapping, and manual assessments, as your guide to customization
*Training in the new era of Lymphatic & Integumentary Rehabilitation - why it all comes back to rehab and active movement!
This evidence based, Modern MLD™ Certification course will challenge your mindset and open new doors for more effective results using all your treatment techniques.
• This course is approved for 49 contact hours through the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy and 45 CCUs through ProCert.
• This activity is provided by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners Accredited Provider #2102044TX and meets continuing competence requirements for physical therapist and physical therapist assistant licensure renewal in Texas.
• This course is approved by the South Carolina Board of Physical Therapy for 49 continuing education contact hours (CE Broker Course Tracking # 20-745156).
• This course is approved by the Tennessee Board of Physical Therapy for 49 Class I continuing education contact hours (CE Broker Course Tracking # 20-745156).
• This course is approved for 49 contact hours/4.9 CEUs through the American Occupational Therapy Association. ILWTI is an approved Provider. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
• This course is approved by the Florida Occupational Therapy Association for 58.5 continuing education contact hours (CE Broker Course Tracking # 20-745156).
• This course is approved by the Arizona Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners for 49 continuing education contact hours (CE Broker Course Tracking # 20-745156).
• This course is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing for 49 continuing education hours (CE Broker Course Tracking # 20-745156). Certificate must be retained for at least four years; do not forward to the Board of Nursing.
Best suited for licensed Physical & Occupational Therapists and Assistants who manage patients with edema/lymphedema.
Applicable to any practice that treats patients with chronic or transient edemas. Treatment techniques are useful in orthopedics, neuro rehab, cancer rehab, long term care, home health, vein clinics, wound centers, family medicine, and lymphedema clinics.
Current PT, PTA, OT, OTA, SLP, NP, RN, MD, DO, DPM, or PA License. Excellent choice for CLWT and CLT update, and CLT-LANA re-certification. Ability to palpate anatomical structures and follow anatomical planes with manual skills is required.
There is approximately 20hrs of on-line pre-course work that is completed at your own pace. A 4 week lead time is recommended, although this varies depending on your prior education and experience in the content areas. On-line training includes reading, videos, and PPT slides. Live training includes review lectures, labs, hands-on workshops, and practicums. Digital copies of clinical tools, and workbooks are included. Our instructor to student ratio is 1:15 during labs to ensure you receive individualized, hands-on training. Volunteer "patient" required for most Teletraining sessions.
Successful completion of all on-line pre-coursework with a cumulative score of 70% or higher, attendance of the entire live course and participation in all hands-on labs and workshops, and a passing grade on all final practicums are required for Certification. Students must also pass a proctored final practicum that is video recorded and reviewed by the instructors for accuracy.
*Should you have special needs requests to successfully complete your training, please contact us.
Please note that the email entered when checking out will be used to send you important course information. Use a personal email vs work email. Work emails have firewalls which may prevent ILWTI emails from reaching you.
LerExpo Online HealthCare Conference April 22!
Early Bird! $199 & 6.5 CME's
Don't Miss! Engage w/ the Nation's TOP Experts as they go Beyond The Basics of Edema & Wound Care and teach you "Principles To Optimize Patient Outcomes And Maximize Profitability In Your Practice"